PSA

Friday Sep 10, 2010

This is going to be a quick public service announcement.

You may have picked up that I try to keep this here place pretty anonymous, Lucy is a pseudonym as are pretty much the rest of the names here. Real names are used solely because they’re so common that it’d be difficult to link them to the rest of the made up names. I don’t mention where I work or where I live beyond the general area. My twitter account is private because it has my blog address in it and I’m friends with people who are friends with people I know in real life. I do this because:

1: It’s the internet for fucks sake, anything put here is here forever.
2: I quite like having this place to faff about what I’m doing and rant about my little life with a degree of separation from my real life.

I don’t write the gory details here, there’s a lot of personal stuff that goes on that doesn’t make this page because it just doesn’t feel right. Remember Adam? One of my best friends who used to be around here all the time? We had a big falling out about 6 months ago, we work together and it was fucking awful. You didn’t read about it here because it just didn’t feel right to put it out there. That couple of sentences is all you’ll hear about it too. I can’t explain what the delineation point between what I feel is acceptable to put out there and what’s not, but generally I put here things I’d be okay with my close friends reading. I’ve been blogging for nearly 10 years in different places and so far this has worked out for me.

What prompted all this?

Let’s just say that my real life and blog life met in a spectacular mess about a week ago with someone I thought I was close with because of something I wrote about. To me what I wrote was pretty tame, and was written about because it affected me.

Now, here’s how I see it. If I write something here about you and you’re not cool with it let me know. Very simple. When it’s happened once or twice before I’m likely to pull it if it’s warranted and make an effort to not write about you again.

Ending a 5+ year friendship over it is completely your decision. I’ll just think you’re a complete fucking twat for doing it.

All sounds pretty standard to me.

Sorry about your friend. That really sucks. Makes me think twice about ever outing myself to family/friends.

September 10th, 2010 | 10:31 pm

That’s what I thought too, apparently not.

Outing yourself is a big scary place that I in no way want to visit.

September 11th, 2010 | 9:38 am

This is exactly why I closed up shop at the other place and am now completely public. I could never have done half and half.

I have learned that some people just don’t get it. Regardless of how long they’ve known you, they discover you “on the internet” and they freak out.

That being said, if I do make my way to Oz, we’re hanging out. And we’re going to drunkenly blog about it.

September 11th, 2010 | 4:01 pm

Totally, most of my friends are just not internet savvy and know I have this place but aren’t too fussed.

I think that’s where I’ll end up, with a public blog. Far easier.

The problem with this guy is he is a blog dude, in fact we met each other through our blogs. I have a fair idea of the real motivation behind his freak out but best not get into it.

And yes, holy shit yes, we have to drink together if you come to Australia.

September 11th, 2010 | 4:13 pm

Could not agree more. That’s why I don’t hand out my blog address to just everyone, but if they find it, which a few have, just enjoy a more “open” side of me and don’t have a hissy fit. Think of it as a “Creative Writing Assignment” and remember I got a “D” the first time I wrote an essay in college. (After that I figured out the boundries and switched to business!) 🙂

September 12th, 2010 | 2:56 am

Aw poor Lucy. You do write a lot of potentially inflammatory stuff on here, but dammit, you’re just being your sassy self and that’s one of the reasons we love you. Keep it up!

September 15th, 2010 | 10:55 pm

Oh my fucken god, I can’t believe it. You bitch. You have deceived me. I hate you. Wah wah wah.

lol.

You don’t need crap friends like that anyway bro 🙂 You’re far too awesome for that shizz.

September 22nd, 2010 | 8:01 am