New Years

Tuesday Oct 30, 2007

I’m thinking of not doing New Years Eve this year. No big night, no party dress, no celebrations beyond staying up until midnight.

I’ve been thinking of doing this for years, but have been persuaded by friends making me come out, or an internal twinge of “Have we really sunk that low into couldn’t-be-arsedness that we’re not even going to celebrate New Years?”

But I think the most I’m going to do is have lunch and drinks with friends and then head home. Just thinking about New Years is exhausting, the whole we must have fun!!! vibe of the night ruins it for me. There are no cabs, my friends are spread out across different places and parties so I don’t get to see everyone I’d like to, everything is triple the cost and I think I’m going to step out.

So – clever or pathetic? Discuss

Unless you have someone to stay up with…it’s just another excuse for staying up late and waking up with a headache…and if you need an excuse to do that you really need to get a life.

I’m with you…unless the party is going to rock…stay at home and chill.

October 30th, 2007 | 5:22 pm

See, my New Years are always kind of the opposite. I always want to do something fun, but end up at home watching tv. I don’t even remember what I did last year, and not in the had too much “fun” to remember kind of way.

Anyway, I don’t think it’s pathetic to bow out if you need a year off from the hoopla.

October 30th, 2007 | 5:59 pm

Indiana – My thoughts exactly.

Plus I’m far too stubborn to do something purely because I’m supposed to, I mean I don’t think I look like a performing monkey?

Winter – It is indeed the hoopla I’m tired of. Living so close to the city in Sydney it’s very much a big deal there’s always far too many wanky options that sound great but never live up to expectations and I just couldn’t be bothered.

More importantly I just don’t want to.

October 30th, 2007 | 7:17 pm
colonel eggroll:

Stay at home in your jammies and have some wine. And think about how creepy dick clark is.

Oh wait. That’s what I do. 🙂

I don’t think it’s pathetic at all. I’m starting to get to the point where I’d much rather stay at home and drink. At least I can be comfortable, actually hear what my friends are saying, and not be surrounded by douchebags.

October 30th, 2007 | 8:09 pm
Ramona:

I’ve been doing it for years, dude. For instance last year I stayed home and had a few drinks and watched tv and ate ice cream in my underwear and it was AWESOME.

October 31st, 2007 | 12:53 am
DelightfulJen:

Clever.

It’s just another night, let’s be honest. I know the party people like to try and convince you otherwise, but I have done both options a number of times and the NYE’s I’ve done nothing have been much funner than the ones I have gone out. NYE just doesn’t do it for me, everyone tries so hard to make it fun it just becomes a big hassle.

October 31st, 2007 | 2:44 am
Enny:

One of my best ones, The Hun and I stayed in with a few bears, a bottle of ricadonna, seafood and “Lost in Translation”. It was nice to not have to worry about what to wear, who’s talking to who, how to get home etc :o)

November 1st, 2007 | 2:23 am

Dick Clark is creeepy!

I’m convinced he might be a vampire, or something. 😉

November 1st, 2007 | 12:01 pm
Rambling Mumma:

I’d love to do it, but am always talked out of it. Why all the need to have fun? It really is never that fun and always way too hyped.

Do it do it do it!