straight

Tuesday Aug 14, 2007

I found out a guy I work with is straight. This isn’t a grand statement really, but I thought he was gay. And because I thought he was gay (he makes his own wine, brings in pastries he’s made, is well groomed and is just a very considerate, and let’s face it effeminate) I flirted with him because I thought he was safe! And because I thought he was just being friendly when it’s entirely possible I’ve been flirting, he’s been flirting back and NOW IT’S AWKWARD!

I finished work after 9 last night. I also ran out of cigarettes at around 6 pm. And I’d been there since 7:30. And I got to log on at 4:30 am this morning. I was supposed to go back to sleep and come into work late. But you know it took an hour to do what I needed to do and then I was wide awake due to the two coffees I needed to even remember all the goddamn network passwords. So I got to work at 6:30 am.

Moral of the story – Kids, do not work in IT.

In good news I only have 3 days left of work, I’m trying very hard to dodge any farewell drinks. I think I may be able to pull an Irish exit and just leave quietly after a couple of drinks on Friday as a few other kids are leaving so I don’t have to do the big “bye, keep in touch, absolutely we’ll catch up again soon” lies that come along with it. I just couldn’t be bothered, I’ve made a concerted effort to keep my work and social lives completely separate. I just don’t want people I have a professional relationship with knowing who I’m sleeping with, what I do when I’m rip roaringly drunk (that’s reserved for friends), who I want to sleep with and just generally stuff that you only get to know if I’m not paid to be civil to you.

So if I’ve been dodging having drinks with you for the year I’ve been working with you why do I have to spend my last night drinking with you? Wwhhhyy??

Also here is a photo of my hair at 5:00 am this morning. This is a public service announcement for all those girls who tell me they’d love to have curly hair.

Moral – You do not.

Although if you give me 20 minutes it looks like this (mind the scary stare and bags)

Not as much personality, yes, but you can at least step out in public without people thinking a time warp has come through and it’s the 80’s and perms are back in again.

stella:

The flirting with the straighty/gay guy is hilarious. Thought you should know.

August 14th, 2007 | 9:24 pm
Stiletto:

personally I tend to stay clear of flirting with co-workers alltogether…it never ends well =P

August 15th, 2007 | 12:02 am

Maybe you should do something to give him the mistaken impression *you’re* gay 🙂

Or at least gay by proxy…

August 15th, 2007 | 1:00 am

Stella – Oh I know. I never put much faith in my gaydar but it really let me down this time….

Stiletto – See the thing is I don’t flirt with the guys I work with. At all. But gay men are an exception to the rule, purely because there’s no ending badly, or any beginning or middle.

Mark – Gah, too much effort. I figure I finish there in two days, I’ll just pull an Irish exit and avoid future contact.

And ha ha.

August 15th, 2007 | 4:02 am
nailpolishblues:

Ha ha! I flirt with pretty much everyone (I spend all day on the phone – I must have some compensation) – the exceptions are one or two people who are total jerks and one very creepy little man who is best avoided.
Flirting with the gay guys really is the most fun though. Well, that and that I time I totally put the doctor off what he was doing. Talk about service…

August 15th, 2007 | 5:44 am

” a smile is the cure for all things”
Could we see you smile (pretty please)? I could wake up to Godzilla, if she had a smile, or even the Queen (but we know she never smiles so forget that)
I bet you have a beautiful smile, …share it with your friends,…please?

August 15th, 2007 | 4:29 pm

Nailpolishblues – I’m a little retarded when it comes to flirting. When I think I’m flirting it just seems like I’m being friendly.

And when I’m being friendly it seems like I’m flirting.

Alec – I smile, a way lot considering how much my parents paid for the smile.

If you go to my flickr account you can see muchos teeth – http://flickr.com/photos/theantilogy/

August 16th, 2007 | 4:06 am
gremlin:

you’re absolutely funny! I so understand about the flirting with the gay guy thing – man! so weird that he’s not really gay afterall…and your hair’s hilarious too! I like it au naturel though. Suits your personality better – or what I understand of your personality from reading just this one entry:)

August 16th, 2007 | 6:59 am