detest

Wednesday Oct 18, 2006

Ok, so I’m totally not going to post photos of the dress, my legs or my breasts (thank you Mark.)

I know, terribly unreasonable of me.

This is my first night home in a while with no alcohol. I actually didn’t want to have a quiet night, which is completely at odds with me normally. And I figured out why.

I hate my job.

I’m overwhelmed, I’m stressed, I’m working hard and I dread going to work. I’m naturally hard on myself, but these guys have been expecting an unreasonable amount from me when I still haven’t been there 3 weeks. My boss tells me to not stay too late yet gives me deadlines that I have no choice but to stay back. He tells me to use any resource I need but I still don’t know what everyone does let alone how they can help me.

And when I’m at home doing nothing I tend to think about it more and stress out more.

I haven’t spoken about it huge amounts of detail because I want to give it a chance.

But so far if I’ve seriously contemplated quitting everyday for the last 3 weeks, how much time do I give it? I know I need to give it a chance but fuck, it has to get better than this.

Apart from that in all honesty life is actually really sweet. This major project I got thrown into managing at work has been delivered before the deadline and despite major fuck ups (not mine). They’re really happy with my work, I’m spending as much time as possible with my friends and my pay means I can shop a lot. I’ve put my foot down and refused to work this weekend so I’m heading down to see the relatives and hang out my the paternal and the sister.

I’ve been catching up with old friends, and getting to know them all over again and I really am enjoying everything apart from the work stuff.

So a question for you – what’s too old for you to date?

My line is if he’s old enough to be my father then wanting to get in my pants is disturbing to me (I’m 25)

colonel eggroll:

My cutoff is generally no more than five years, because you aren’t in the same place in life, and you want different things. But it really depends on the person. If they were cool, then maybe. But I think if someone is old enough to be my dad, it’s creepy.

October 18th, 2006 | 6:29 am
Trixie:

I’m with the egroll…

Wow. Never thought I’d have a time in my life that I’d need to write those particular words!

October 18th, 2006 | 7:51 am

I also agree with the Eggroll. 😉

Coolness is definately a factor in age, five years is fine, I guess I’d go to as much as ten before thinking twice. And I think that ‘no one older than my dad’ rule is pretty much a good standard. (I’m 24, my dad’s 45, he’s pretty young, so guys like Johnny Depp are about the same age which I try not to think about.)

I think as you get older the age gap isn’t seen as such a big thing, unless you’re 46 and dating/knocking up and marrying a 18-year-old (who is younger than any of your kids), or something like that.

October 18th, 2006 | 11:39 am
NATALIE:

I left a job i liked cause they kind of fucked me over and spent three months at a job that was just awful. I went back to my old company, got a promotion and a raise (although not as much as i was making at the 2 month job) and they still fuck me over but at least it is an evil I know and love.

October 18th, 2006 | 2:25 pm

mmmm, age…ok my max up was 17 years, but that was more of a learning affair, so the usual up is 3-4 years…down on other hand is a whole other story ~grin~

October 18th, 2006 | 5:33 pm
stella:

Spoken by a 22 year old: I reckon I’d go 35 years old – any older than that and I’d have to really think about it. So that’s what, 13 years? Not too bad…

Older guys are hotter.

October 18th, 2006 | 7:24 pm
Jennifer:

I’m (very almost) 23 and I reckon I’d go upto about 33. 35 just sounds a bit too old. I don’t think I’d be involved with guys my same age anymore, I’m aiming for more 25-26 for the moment.

I can sort of understand how you feel about the new job. I’m not sure whether or not I like my new job, I have only ofically worked one day so it’s much too soon to decide I hate it, but if it continues to be like that I don’t know what to do.

October 18th, 2006 | 9:19 pm
GBE:

John is seven years older than me and we haven’t had any major problems with it. If we’re just talking dating, I’d go up to the late 30’s. Anything more serious and all of that ‘being in the same place’ business is important, though I don’t think age is always the major factor in that.

Maybe they should hire an assistant for you. It’s only fair if they’ve given you too much work. And you could choose the assistant, and make sure that he is spunky and beardy and wears tailored shirts that show off his impeccable body. Hurrah!

October 18th, 2006 | 11:33 pm
Nick:

The youngest woman I dated was in her late 20’s and the oldest close to 50. To me age is not an issue, it’s more the mental connection.

October 19th, 2006 | 12:51 am
Entropy's a bitch:

i think first instinct is a great thing. if you dont like the job to begin with, what makes you think staying there for any period of time is going to make it better. If you dont like it, and it’s not worth the stress, then you should leave. sure the money may be great, but money comes and goes.

I’d date any woman as long as she didnt have to carry around a colostomy bag and i didnt have to carry a defibrulator to restart her heart. but then, i am a whore.

October 19th, 2006 | 3:14 am
The very nice man:

The age gap needs to be less than 10 years (unless it is just for a quickie!)!
Why??
I have absolutely no idea – just sounds right!

October 19th, 2006 | 3:40 am

By all comments so far I am the origianl “oracle”, older than dirt, or otherwise designated, “old fart”, but that’s ok with me!
The open exchange of concepts in “blogging” is part of a much bigger process of understanding each other. I love to know what younf people think,and hope they take away someting from my thoughts.
But speaking as a male of the species, all things being equal would I throw a gorgeous 20 something year old blonde out of the bed for chewing crackers? If by myself, of course for I’ve already reserved the 45 foot catamaran with the three blonde nymphomaniacs as my “exit” from this world:)
Seriously, I tend to agree more than five or six years difference and you are talking “generations”.

October 19th, 2006 | 7:05 pm
Miss Natalie:

I’ll go 18 years older max to well 6 years younger – been there done that. Age is a non issue really. Mama Mia!

October 20th, 2006 | 1:50 am
jacqueline:

I’m 21 and would usually steer clear of anybody more than 10 years older than me… but…. I have a huge crush on Dr House (Hugh Lawrie) and know that, given the opportunity, I would go to bed with him in an instant.

Perhaps celebrity crushes are a different ball game?

October 21st, 2006 | 2:24 am
Anonymous:

Jacqueline, take it from a fellow 21 year old…I too would go to bed with Hugh Lawrie. He’s such a mystifying person. That accent, who wouldn’t fall for that? I must warn you, however this is also coming from a 21 year old who happens to have a huge crush on her 40 year old boss who is married with kids…yeah i suck @ life

November 1st, 2006 | 11:05 pm