never again part two

Sunday Aug 27, 2006

Look, I’m not even going to insult your intelligence by starting another post about how rubbish I’m feeling because I went out for a few drinks, and again ended up coming home in the wee hours. Because really, I don’t think I’m fooling myself anymore.

But essentially I went out yesterday evening for a few drinks at the Opera Bar to celebrate both the job for me and new shoes purchase for both my sister and I.

I never claim to not be shallow. They are gorgeous though.

It was beautiful, this photo was taken from our seat. Sydney is a beautiful beautiful city. Before you know it 3 bottles of wine, copious cocktails, a visit to a new friends restaurant in The Rocks for the best food I’ve had in ages and Caprioska’s.

Enter hangover and a general delicate state this morning.

I have the dubious honour of keeping the new role a secret until I get the contract in a day or two. I am incapable of keeping a secret and my company is a hot bed for gossip. I think I’m going to have to go with the “I’ll find out in a couple of days” if they were aware of the interview. And pray that the few people I’ve told won’t tell any common work friends.

I smoked a little last night. It’s something I’m ambivalent about and trying to keep it that way. I have no desire to continue it today, and actually the idea of smoking even one cigarette makes me feel nauseous. I’m keeping it at the winding down after a stressful week. Gah.

I had a conversation with Beth over breakfast this morning about where you find boys to just make out and have sleepovers with without anything more. We’re both single, I don’t think we’re hideously unattractive yet we just don’t mix in the same way with guys than when we did at 18. Naturally clubs and drunken skeazy places are out as I’ve never met any decent guy whose pick up line was grabbing my arse.

What I will say is I wish more boys would approach girls outside of clubs and pubs. A comment from a man in line while getting coffee, in a bookstore, waiting to get lunch will get a much more favourable response than the same comment in a pub, club no matter how nice he seems.

This week will be interesting, things are finally changing and just the idea of all the new stuff exhausts me. I’ll be glad when the new job starts and I can settle in a little.

I totally get to wear suits to work as well which means shopping, which equals a happy Lucy.

Anyway kids I hope you had great weekends.

Yeah … you do rule! Well done on the job, and thanks for making me a bit homesick with your photo … and the Bridge is cool too! We hey!

August 27th, 2006 | 5:28 am
yublocka:

Congrats on the job lucy – sounds very exciting indeed!!

Anything that requires more shopping has gotta be good anyway. Make sure you post pics so we can live viacriously through your shopping life!

p.s. love the shoes

August 27th, 2006 | 3:39 pm

A new job that demands you go shopping…LOL…it’s a hard life!

August 27th, 2006 | 4:15 pm

I agree with you about people needing to approach one another outside of clubs and bars. But I know how hard it is to do it. I’ve asked guys out before, it’s hard to have the courage to face that rejection! *laughs* I totally respect guys for having to carry the brunt of that responsibility. Throwing themselves at the mercy of the court and whatnot.

August 27th, 2006 | 6:26 pm

Donkay – Thanks dude, how long has it been since you’ve been in Sydney?

Yublocka – Thanks lovely, it is definitely one of those jobs that’s going to be challenging but worth it I think.

Plus shopping for suits and shoes? Makes me very very happy.

Indiana – It is indeed a hard knock life 🙂 How I manage I do not know, as I recall you quite like going shopping with girls, no?

I think your girl shopping probably contains more nudity than mine though 😉

August 27th, 2006 | 6:46 pm

Winter – Couldn’t agree more, I tried to hit on a guy in a club once, got shot down, and have never done it again. So any man can consistently approach girls I take my hat off too. It’s just that the venue of when guys approach depends on my, and generally other girls, response.

A club?

Almost 100% likely to say no, whereas if a guy strikes up a conversation sober in daylight in a bookstore or in line I’m much more likely to not write him off as lecherous or too forward.

Maybe I just don’t like drunken advances because they tend to be kinda lame or sleazy.

August 27th, 2006 | 7:07 pm

Opera bar is GORGEOUS, as are those shoes. I’m still lovin on the wedge heels. very purdy.

I work in an industry where i have to frock up every day, and at first i loved it. yay, playing dress ups. NOW, I’d kill to work in a place where i could rock up in my beloved jeans. Le sigh!

August 27th, 2006 | 9:03 pm

Steph – Dude I agree, the shoes and the bar are gorgeous. I love the wedge heels for a completely pathetic reasons too though – I find them so much easier to walk in and not fall over. Being a highly uncoordinated person I need a little more solid heel than a stiletto.

I like suits at least, purely because I don’t have to iron them and I can throw whatever I want underneath. Laziness dressed up as professional – my favourite.

August 27th, 2006 | 9:18 pm
Loudlush:

Mmmm… shoes…

Now, picking up. I had a guy try to pick me up in the wine cellar at DJ’s a while back and I thought that if I wasn’t spoken for I’d have totally gone for it. He was confident enough not to be gutted by me having to say no, and I felt like the hottest chick in the known universe for the rest of the day.

August 28th, 2006 | 2:13 am

Loudlush – Exactly what I think, it’s far more subtle than the same line in a skeezy night club.

Plus feeling like the hottest chick in the known universe is always good.

August 28th, 2006 | 3:56 am

Well … about 6 months, but the bridge was there then, I think … I could have been drunk … no, actually, I definitely was drunk!

August 28th, 2006 | 7:24 am

Between your new shoes and a similar pair my friend has I am doing some serious coveting.
I walked home completely obliterated by a night of drinking in wedge heels and only fell over once, I think they may have been magic. 🙂

August 28th, 2006 | 5:10 pm
DelightfulJen:

I love those shoes, I wanted to buy some which looked alot like that, but I fear I am too retarded to even walk in wedges.

Are they from Colorado?

August 28th, 2006 | 11:24 pm
The very nice man:

Hmm! Usually nice guys are too shy or scared of rejection to just ask a girl for ‘some action and no more’ and the ones that do ask are usually ugly f*ckers (at least on the inside) or old and dirty.
Maybe YOU should go and ask lads you see and fancy! Too forward?? For you?? Naaah! Surely not!
Whaddayathink??
Erik

August 29th, 2006 | 3:26 am

Donkay – Yep, I’ve heard stories it’s been around a wee bit longer than 6 months 🙂

Winter – You made me giggle. They are literally the most comfortable heels I own because there’s no wobble. And like you found out, less falling over in public which lets face it there was a lot done Saturday night. (Not by me)(Seriously)

DelightfulJen – If I can walk in these heels, anyone, and I mean anyone can. And I’m totally not admitting that I bought them at Target, no siree.

The Very Nice Man – Nope, I don’t hit on boys. Purely out of utter shyness and mortification. I oscillate wildly between intense shyness and utter ballsiness.

August 29th, 2006 | 3:51 am
The very nice man:

Well, you should hit on boys! I am sure most would find you hard to resist! I think you should try it! What does everybody else think??
E.