brotherly thoughts

Wednesday Aug 16, 2006

I had a whole ‘nother post written but it turned into a lame Dr Phil style thing. And although I love me a little Dr Phil I’m not a 6 foot plus Texan with a moustache.

It was inspired by Natalie’s post about remaining single because she’s “this” close to giving up on believing there’s decent men out there. I agree with the sentiment. The post in summary was – don’t be an arsehole and change the rules half way through. And if you’re in a screwed up headspace don’t get involved with someone else and mess with their head too.

I’m having dinner and drinks with TheBoyWho tomorrow night. Lucky it’s a school night so I know things won’t get too drunken and weird. I’m thinking brotherly thoughts in the hope that when I see him he’ll be just a friend. Because if the normal thoughts I’ve had about him mingle with the brotherly stuff then I’m thinking bad illegal thoughts.

I hate the gym and I can’t believe I’m still going 3 months later.

I am very tired and need holidays stat. I know I’m getting down when I start to sleep as much as possible. After Sundays little 13 hour sleep-a-thon I can’t ignore it much longer. Besides, Fiji is still 5 bloody months away and I could fit like 10 nervous breakdowns or depressive episodes in there. Because good lord I can plan well.

So fingers crossed I don’t try and get TheBoyWho drunk to take advantage of him, send brotherly vibes my way k?

Gym after 3 months…it’s now a habit ~grin~

nd as for brotherly thoughts, think of him as you want…even if you both don;t want anything doesn’t mean you can’t have a wild weekend of sex and remain friends.

August 16th, 2006 | 5:26 am
Nick:

I’m not a 6 foot plus Texan with a moustache. I’m guessing if you were, there wouldn’t be any issues with TheBoyWho tomorrow night.

As I commented on Natalie’s post – it’s all about managing expectations. Where it gets tricky is when communication about what the state of play is, gets confused by desire, alcohol, and opportunity.

It’s as confusing for the guy – believe me, mixed messages, and then sexual amnesia (the post-coital stage where pre-coitus promises are erased from the males mind, but remain firmly embedded in the females mind) and post-coital regret on the part of some females for “having a female brain” and allowing herself to behave emotionally rather than clinically, which can result in the “root and run”.

All the brotherly vibes in the world will be stilled with the first glass of wine and whiff of pheremones…be strong girl.

August 16th, 2006 | 5:40 am

Indiana – That would be fine, but remember this is the boy that we thought might be gay because there was no love, you know I’d be happy with your scenario :).

I’m more holding back so I don’t make a fool of myself. Cause god knows I do that often enough anyway.

Nick – I do agree, I think as long as both people are aware of the boundaries or plans it’s hard to be confused and it shows consideration by sticking to them.

It’s when people change the boundaries or future plans that I have a problem with. But I’ve never had post coital regret and I have to say, sexual amnesia? I must admit that if I heard that from someone as a reason/excuse to forget promises/plans made I’d be uber pissed.

August 16th, 2006 | 4:30 pm
CLaRue:

Back in the day I learnt eventually that it was the ones who were making all the promises early on who were going to change the rules on me when I wasn’t looking.

Nothing sucks worse than the feeling of wanting to argue ‘but last week you were cutting me a key …’

And absolutely on the screwed headspace. If you’re not happy with you, you’re not going to make anyone else happy either.

August 16th, 2006 | 5:49 pm

Clarue – Exactly, I was a late learner on the promise the world thing, hence why I am wary of when I hear “I promise” now. But the ones who have kept any promise they make have always been a keeper.

And not douchebags, which is nice.

Oh and when do you fly out?

August 16th, 2006 | 6:03 pm
CLaRue:

Two weeks and about half a day … Getting to major ‘haven’t started packing/haven’t booked x/haven’t bought y stage’ and work is suddenly a bitch because even thoguh they got months of notice they’ve ‘just realised’ they don’t have anyone to replace me.

Tis so fun.

But … I get to go away. And I know this is a good good thing.

August 16th, 2006 | 6:44 pm
stella:

OH dear girl, good luck.

I’m “this close” to believe there’s decent men out there too. Because they are decent until Those sorts of Emotions get involved and then they turn into Arseholes too. I saw a friend of mind practise it this week and I wasn’t even involved. And he’s actually a genuinely good guy…Dick.

Heehee. Good luck with the Boy Who.

August 16th, 2006 | 7:44 pm

Clarue – Oh man you lucky girl. I personally would be bouncing between complete excitement and out and out nerve related heart palpitations.

Tis definitely a good thing.

Stella – Oh I do agree. I’m not cynical and believe that most men out there are good and honest. The guys I work with are terrible but good decent men who love their partners. So yeah not bitter and cynical yet either.

We are terrible and I miss you and must catch up soon and swap curse words. Or more likely we’ll keep being busy and promise to catch up again soon 🙂

Oh and what’s happening with Cowboys and Cactii? I want a premiere ticket stella or there’ll be trouble.

August 16th, 2006 | 8:36 pm

It’s tough, I think. There are decent men out there (er, out here, I mean) but we find it so very difficult not to act like neurotic dickheads when it comes to relationships and suchlike. We could really use some Dr Phil.

Hope dinner went well & safely.

August 16th, 2006 | 10:48 pm
stella:

I KNOW! that is so us, seriously I think a year might pass before we actually catch up again, you’ll walk into witchery next summer and I’ll be all like, so hey. But like, we should do a breakfast or something easy…

There’s a new production underway though : LIGHTBULBS.

It’s all about relationships again. Uh, tell me something new!

August 17th, 2006 | 6:35 am
nailpolishblues:

Could you direct me to the background on this? I think I’m having some really quite painful deja vu.

Also, fucking hell Mark, do you read every single female blogger in the country?

August 17th, 2006 | 8:47 am

Nailpolish – See Sunday’s post, there’s a couple of links to back story on that one.

Stella – I know, and for some reason I think we would be just fine. But with my shopping at the moment you may see me at witchery sooner rather than later.

Oh and if you need help with Lightbulbs at all you’ve got my number, yes?

August 17th, 2006 | 8:53 pm

Nails: Yes. I read some married ones as well.

Plus, guy blogs are *so* boring…

August 17th, 2006 | 9:26 pm

Mark – But you really like the singles one no? 🙂

It’s true though, I don’t care much for blogs by married men/involved men as they have nothing I want to read about. I can hang out with my male friends and get the same type of information.

August 17th, 2006 | 9:30 pm