hmm

Wednesday Jan 25, 2006

One of my work colleagues came with me on the weekend’s work trip.

He’s one of the people I’m closest with at work.

He’s a health nut; he goes to gym 7 days a week and is a bigger food nazi than all of the dieting work girls combined.

His ideal woman, pointing examples out, is a small size 6.

And during drinks on Friday night he brought up my weight.

It wasn’t offensive and it didn’t upset me.

It did take me aback though.

Let me give you some background.

M. is very fit, has a 6 pack, has guns like Ron Burgundy, waxes his legs (apparently he cycles) and does 200 sit up’s a day. He’s very much into health and finds the “ideal” male physique his goal.

His perfect woman (and seeing his girlfriend) is a small size 6, blonde, tanned, blue eyed personal instructor.

I, on the other hand, (sorry, that made me giggle), smoke, love a glass of wine, exercise only by way of a treadmill and am a good size 14.

I don’t think he knows quite how to deal with me.

His comments were along the line of,

”Have you always been this size?”
– “I worry about your health”

I think what bothered me wasn’t the weight (like previous posts I’m happy with my lot) but that the line of conversation seemed obtrusive and……tacky?

I don’t see it as my position to questions someones – looks, lifestyle, sex life, the car they drive, who they love, what they eat etc etc.

It’s none of my business.

I think just because it’s not to your taste or what you would do doesn’t give you a free pass to judge.

So I explained yes I have always been this “size”, thank you for your concern but (as he knows) I eat well and I exercise and I’m very happy with how I look, thank you very much.

I think it was either that or “take your unhealthy waif’s and jam it.”

I think I chose the right response.

Anonymous:

nice to know you are still rocking the internets from your ice cold Fortress of Hermitude 🙂 stuberosum

January 25th, 2006 | 4:55 pm

Being comfortable in one’s own skin and ignore the barbs of those who aren’t is a skill best taken with whisky…neat, or on ice…and then a glass of water.

Look speculative, drink one, upend other over offenders head.

January 25th, 2006 | 10:17 pm

John – The Cold Fortress of Hermitude is, appropriately, chilly and lovely.

Sucks to be you 🙂

Indiana – I am surprisingly more polite in the real world and couldn’t do it. Besides why waste my whiskey (or gin in my case) on him? 😉

January 26th, 2006 | 12:39 am

Er I meant Jonathan not John (sorry)

That was mildy embarassing

January 26th, 2006 | 4:48 am
Anonymous:

John/Jonathan all good. Been a while since we talked so well done on remembering my name anyways and my FULL name at that will correct spelling 😀 stuberosum

January 30th, 2006 | 12:31 am
Buffy:

It could have been worse. You could have had someone, with slight subtlety, mention a drug the NHS was prescribing for “really obese people”.

“Not that you’re fat,” she says. “Not that you’re even fat. I’m just saying.”

Now. She’s right. I’m not obese. I’m not fat. Could I lose a few pounds? Couldn’t we all. She’s a personal trainer. They’re kinda nutty. In a good way.

January 30th, 2006 | 1:17 pm

Buffy – Oh no she didn’t?

That is appalling. I especially liked the “really obese” opener followed by the back track to the “not even fat”.

These crazy fit buff nuts are horrified by the idea of being a kilogram overweight, so I kinda love the fact that a girl whose 5-7 kilo’s overweight absolutely appalls them enough to comment.

I’m appalled that they care so much about my Body Mass Index rather than just focusing on their own weight obsession.

Nuts the lot of them.